In the USA, I think the answer is "both are extant."  In short, it's the "trunk
means this, absolutely and primary means that, absolutely" on the one hand and
"around here, even paved with gravel, that road rises to the level of trunk,
absolutely" on the other hand.  And you have two hands.  The answer is yes.

Sometimes, and in this instance ("primary and trunk semantics in the USA") the
answer is "yes, both."

I believe it is correct to recognize that both are true simultaneously and the
(several, many) reasons why both exist simultaneously.  Saying "even if gravel
around here, still trunk" and tell the people who are shocked (absolutely
shocked) at this to close their mouths and expand their minds.  Expand the
definition of trunk to be accommodating, that is (it is).

SteveA
California