Tod Fitch <t...@fitchfamily.org> writes:

> My reading of the wiki indicates that for the United States a trunk is “a
> high speed Arterial Divided highway that is partially grade separated.” [1]
>
> What is the problem with having the main road between regions/cities/towns
> being “primary”? Do you like the rendering of trunk better?
>
> For myself if I planned a driving trip and was expecting a trunk road I’d
> sure be surprised to find areas that are undivided and apparently, from other

Agreed.  To me trunk means:

  paved
  divided
  very few at grade intersections or driveways (one every few miles is ok)

basically "sort of like a motorway, but not quite".

primary already means "this is a very main road".

There are plenty of primary roads with 65 MPH speed limits out there.
If they aren't divided or have more-than-occasional at-grade
intersections or driveways, that's the right classification.

I don't think a road that isn't physically trunk should get tagged as
such just because it is the most important road (or the only road).