The myriad variations of "name" (alt, loc, nat, old, reg, official, sorting,
int...) show how complex this is.  The issues go back many years and will
likely continue well into the future, indeed many participants in this/these
thread(s) are authors of our wiki's name page.

Better documenting, continuing dialog, consensus-style agreement, changing data
in the map to reflect our well- or better-documented conventions:  all of these
get us closer to perfection.  Although I think everybody agrees, perfection is
nigh on impossible, as "the map is never 'done.'"

"Do our best."  If there is contention, discuss it.  If there is
misunderstanding or disagreement, discuss it.  If there is agreement, document
it and use it in the map and even write code that depends on it.  We get there,
we will better get there as we continue to do these things.

SteveA