Mateusz Konieczny writes:
"OSM is not a place to map property rights.  And landuse=residential is
certainly not a tool for mapping boundaries of owned areas or property right
boundaries."

I don't wish to start an argument, and I ask with all the politeness I can
muster, but Mateusz, how can you be so sure?  Quoting our wiki, "land
use...describes what an area of land is used for e.g. housing..., etc."  On the
land that property owners own, and live on, can you truly say they are not
"using the entirety of their land for residential purposes?"  Of course, some
of that might have a house or apartment building, but the rest of it, is that
land not also residential?  I believe it is.  I am not alone.  You might be
conflating these areas with the "property rights" of the owners/residents, as I
did bring that phrase into the conversation.  But what else would we call "the
remainder of land which is used for residential purposes which does not
strictly contain the footprint of a building (hut, apartment, tent, hogan, mud
daub dwelling)?"  Something other than residential?  It is residential!

SteveA