> However, I'm not exactly sure how the outer polygons found in NFs differ from
> either the "Congressional" boundary or the one Bradley says he would tag
> "boundary=administrative" (and I don't think we should tag it that,
> especially while excluding a specific value for admin_level), but I'm willing
> to listen to more discussion about what this "different from Congressional"
> boundary is and how the two differ.  Apologies if that isn't clear, I'm doing
> my best, but I remain unclear on some concepts here.

NF congressionally designated boundary, minus private inholdings (more
specifically, non-USFS-owned land), gives you the boundary of land
that is actually managed and protected by the USFS. This boundary
should be tagged with 'protect_class=6'. USFS owned land is always a
subset of this congressional boundary (I suspect it is, in all cases
in the US, a proper subset). Subtracting these private inholdings is
generally going to change the shape of the 'outer' way such that it no
longer is the same as the "designated" boundary.

> My slight disagreement with Bradley is as above:  I don't think we should put
> a "naked" (missing admin_level) boundary=administrative tag on these, it
> simply feels wrong to do that.  (I READ the point that these are
> "Congressionally designated" and that SEEMS administrative...but, hm...).

I wasn't clear in what I meant by suggesting 'boundary=administrative'
tagging here - I don't think we should tag "declared" boundaries
'boundary=administrative' with no 'admin_level'. This is simply the
closest widely-used tag that comes close to representing what this
"declared" boundary actually means. This is also why I suggest we
think about not including it at all in OSM; should we also start
adding boundaries for interstate USFS administrative regions (an
'admin_level', for lack of a better term, more general than a NF
boundary), as well as ranger districts within each national forest?

The real, on-the-ground objects of importance here are the plots of
land that are actually owned and operated by the USFS, not an
administrative boundary that declares where each national forest *may*
legally be authorized to own and manage land, and that is not
surveyable on the ground.