> While it certainly may exist, I'm not aware of a disparity between the
> "congressionally declared boundary" and any other boundary of a NF, including
> "physical land that the NF actually owns and manages."  How would anyone know
> where this latter boundary is?

The declared boundaries are administrative boundaries that limit the
extent in which each NF *may* manage land, but only land owned by the
USFS within these boundaries is actually protected at
'protect_class=6' criteria. Both of these boundaries are available for
download using the USFS Data Extract tool, and specifically in
California, the surface ownership boundary of each national forest is
included in the CPAD database. They can also usually be verified on
the ground by yellow NF property markers, as stated previously. In
fact, it is the congressionally declared boundary that is impossible
to verify on the ground.

Having lived in multiple places within a "declared" NF boundary, the
NF affords no protection on the land I have lived on. There might be
some extra hoops to jump through when pulling permits, but that
certainly isn't enough to include it within a 'protect_class=6'
boundary.