Vào lúc 11:02 2020-09-23, stevea đã viết:
On Sep 23, 2020, at 10:51 AM, Brian Stromberg <brian.stromb...@gmail.com> wrote:
A short question of a lengthy response: What is the history behind that definition of
'suburb'? Is it a result of the term being used that way in UK/Europe/elsewhere? Seems
like an odd usage, since "suburbs" have had a very clear definition in the
United States for decades now, and it has nothing to do with neighborhoods.

I believe it is UK-derived, as are many OSM "definitions" (usually / often
clarified in wiki for that key).

If I'm not mistaken, the definition on the wiki seems to align more closely with the meaning of "suburb" in Australian English, in which it's understood to be anywhere within the city, even near the central business district. [1] place=suburb was originally proposed by an Australian mapper in 2006. [2] Also, around early 2008, Australia jumped from 7.8% to 29% of global place=suburb usage, which could have helped to reinforce that definition. [3]

The wiki says place=suburb is "in a place=town or place=city", but that doesn't necessarily say it has to lie within the administrative boundary that contains the place=town/city as a label. place=town/city is mapped as a POI, not as an area with distinct boundaries. But even so, it is pretty far from how Americans associate suburbs with distinct incorporated municipalities or unincorporated areas on the outskirts of the city.

[1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/suburb#English
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:Diff/55503
[3] https://ohsome.org/apps/dashboard/

--