On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 6:09 PM Mark Brown <tj-osmw...@lowsnr.net> wrote:

> Just mapping some of the trails in the Cabinet Mountains in the Idaho
> panhandle, from the US Topo Maps. Noticed that the trails have numbers.
> What should I put in the "ref" for the route relation?

It's perfectly acceptable to put a trail number in 'ref' on a route
relation.  And while the presets only offer 'lwn' 'rwn', 'nwn', 'iwn', I'd
say that in North American practice, putting in the name of the authority
that assigned the 'ref' would be appropriate in 'network=*', particularly
in regions where multiple networks may be overlaid.

> Also, some of the trails are marked as Pack Trails but there is no
> documented tag in the wiki. Would adding "pack=yes" be acceptable?

What is a 'Pack Trail'? One graded for livestock, so that a pack mule
(horse, llama, etc.) can be brought along?  Would 'horse=yes' (or maybe
some other value if pack animals are OK but riding animals is forbidden)
cover it? In which case, also consider making the way a bridleway and and
having a route=horse as well as a route=hiking relation.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin