On 12/4/20 3:43 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Hi,

On 04.12.20 12:33, Mikel Maron wrote:
I'm not sure what the "name" tag should be, but I am wondering what the point of the
translations are which simply duplicate the default name. Is it like a marker to say "don't
try calling this place anything else"? Is that common, seems unneccesary?
FYI, other cases of this exist. States are usually assumed to completely partition a country, but there are lots of federal districts that are not in a state. I think Mexico City and Brasilia are both like this. If not, it is Friday. My apologies.

Every now and then we have an avid fan of language X go around the globe
and add name:X tags, it always looks to me like an attempt at making the
language more relevant (especially if name:X==name). "Hey, language X is
not dead yet, we still call Washington Washington!!!"

Well, there are cases you would want names in, for example, Russian. Most Russian speakers can, I suspect, sound out words in the Latin alphabet, but it is a thing.

And if you wanted to start a fight, you could go around tagging things with Kurdish language versions. That would be fun, yes? :--

I have often argued for just dropping name:X if it is the name as name,
because I would assume that every language-specific map or other use
case would revert to the name tag if no language-specific name was present.
Automated crawlers could find these. Are there any crawlers doing this and putting up edits?
The counter-argument was usually that if Washington has a
name:de=Washington then you positively know that this is the name used
in Germany, whereas if it doesn't have a name:de tag it might just be
"not yet mapped".

Fat chance with name:de ;)

Yeah, Germans. I had a German manager once who spoke at a very large public gathering and mentioned "America and the 53 states". There was much hilarity. Of course, he was right that because lists of states sometimes need to include Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Marshall Islands. It took a bit of time to realize that, though.

We all learn, every day.

cheers - ray

Bye
Frederik