Hi Heinz,

I'm very happy with my 2 WinCE based GPSs (Telefunken and JNC) with my
gosmore software. They record to SD card, so they're unlimited. And you can
view, route, search and perform basic editing. Major retailers (Pick 'n Pay)
no longer stock these units, but you can find one through junk mail or
bidorbuy (+- R1000). They all have builtin Lithium Ion batteries that will
last a few hours and can be charged from USB or from a car. You can borrow
my Telefunken if you like. It has experienced a lot of wear and tear, but is
still fully functional. I have an external antenna for it with a long lead,
but I've never even thought of using it.

I received a Gecko 201 from the Foundation. It also has a limit of 10k
points but the logging frequency can be reduced. It's quite small and runs
from AAA batteries, so it's nice for hiking trips. Generating routes for it
with yournavigation takes a bit of work, but is great for cycling. (It's a
pity you didn't ask before SotM...)

Regards,
Nic