I've been fortunate in being given a set of (non-copyright) gpx files that
covers almost every safe footpath and jeep track in the TMNP. These have
been uploaded into the traces database and I'm presently tracing them on to
the map. However, I've come up against a variety of tags that have been
applied to existing tracks and footpaths. In the interest of conformity
within the TMNP (and possibly other national parks), could I get some input
on a tagging scheme that I can apply throughout.

My suggestions are:

Jeep Tracks:

Highway=track

access=permissive

motorcar=no

bicycle=no

foot=yes

surface=gravel

name= "Contour path or whatever if the track has a name"

Footpaths

Highway=footway

Foot=yes

Name= "Contour path or whatever if the track has a name"

Bryan