Hi
If we could get all that information it would be great, we have a very
progressive set of laws in South Africa which we should utilise to the
fullest extend as citizens.

Sindile, could you perhaps copy a row of data of what is typically found or
provide a link? Would the cadastre information typically be included?
Having cadastre information would be really crucial to import other
municipal data and contextualise it. The other immediate advantage is that
we could get correct and complete street names for all towns. There is a
lot of information to gather though and a lot of councils to contact so
could easily grow into a big project.

Regards

On 24 April 2013 09:54, Sindile Bidla <sindile.bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Once harvested, it is to post it on openstreetmap.
>
> This is the workflow I have in mind:
>
> 1. get the valuation roll from a municipality (pdf / csv - preferable /
> spreadsheet - preferable) - some have this info on their websites.
>
> 2. harvest the following  - property description and address (have this on
> a table of some sort - database / spreadsheet), create the LPI key.
>
> 3. link this to the cadastre (centroid of cadastre) - allows us to derive
> the lat/long of each parcel.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sindile
>

> On 24 April 2013 10:42, Marlon v/d Linde <vesuv...@kbye.co.za> wrote:
>
>> This poses an interesting question and possible solution to simplify a
>> lot of things.
>> Excellent point Sindile.
>>
>> If we can get this information from someone in the know, it would help a
>> lot. It is my personal opinion that such a register should be publicly
>> consumable, but I too, am not a lawyer.
>>
>> What did you have in mind for the addresses once harvested, if I may ask?
>>
>> Regards
>> Marlon
>>

>> > Marlon B v/d Linde ( mar...@kbye.co.za )
>> >
>> [ ▇ ▄ ▅ █ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▄ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ]
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Sindile Bidla
>> <sindile.bi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was wondering what do people think of harvesting address information
>>> from the valuation roll of municipalities for use in openstreetmap. Is this
>>> legal - my view is that it is but I am not a lawyer.
>>>
>>> Section23
>>> subsection1 requires a municipality to maintain a register of properties
>>> within its boundary.
>>> subsection4 provides for the register to be open for inspection.
>>>
>>> Section48
>>> subsection3-c requires that a physical address be included.

Gerhardus Geldenhuis