Hi Hugh,

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 11:19 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk@gtalug.org> wrote:

> I have started to use the file manager (GNOME Files, a Nautilus
> descendent) in the last couple of years.  I've recently incorporated
> its search capability into my workflow and find it more convenient
> than locate(1) or especially find(1).

Have you come across the file chooser behaviour where the search field
takes the focus instead of the filename field?

Example: in Firefox, I want to save a series of article pages that
were uploaded as jpegs, but I want to rename them to page numbers
instead of 40+ random-digit-filenames. If I click on the previous
saved page, its name appears in the filename field with the digit (not
the dot or the jpg extension) highlighted. If I type the next digit in
the sequence, I'd like it to replace what's highlighted so I can press
enter or click Save. Instead the new digit appears in a new search
field. To put the focus where I want, I have to drag the mouse over
the highlighted digit (even switching focus with Tab or ESC would be
better).

I asked about this and was told it's shared GTK code between the file
chooser and file manager, and it's expected behaviour. It is or is
like GTK issue #2638.

Mike