On Thu., Jun. 23, 2022, 13:39 D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk, <talk@gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Why would someone want it to be on?  What does it improve?

Modals, some people say [citation needed], should stop all interactions to
focus on the file activity. The old Macintosh OSs kept that strict modality
for far longer than necessary, well into the time they had something that
passed for multitasking.

Perhaps a more programmer-centric explanation is that if the dialogue is
fully modal, you won't have to strongly associate it with the window it
refers to. The user can't accidentally lose a modal behind its own window
as the user is forced to interact with it.

I have no idea why anyone would want that either. The only modals I like
are the Holy Modal Rounders, but they're an acquired taste.

 Stewart