I was surprised and disappointed to read this today:

The Linux Foundation, a global nonprofit organization enabling innovation
through open source, today announced the formation of the Overture Maps
Foundation <https://overturemaps.org/>, a new collaborative effort to
develop interoperable open map data as a shared asset that can strengthen
mapping services worldwide. The initiative was founded by Amazon Web
Services (AWS), Meta, Microsoft, and TomTom and is open to all communities
with a common interest in building open map data.
—
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/press/linux-foundation-announces-overture-maps-foundation-to-build-interoperable-open-map-data

The thing is, we already have a mature global map database with
interoperable data and services: OpenStreetMap —
https://www.openstreetmap.org/ . OSM is managed by the democratic
OpenStreetMap Foundation. The partners in Overture are not particularly
well known for their open-source friendliness. Membership in the Overture
foundation is also very costly: $3000 US/year to contribute, $3M US/year to
be on the steering committee.

I know that the Linux Foundation is hyper-corporate, but to try to compete
with OSM is mystifying.

 Stewart