On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 1:08 AM William Park via talk <talk@gtalug.org>
wrote:

> I don't do dialup anymore.  But, looking at my old PPP setup (I'm
> surprised I still have it), 'dns-addr' is assigned in /etc/ppp/options.

Yeah, there's a lot going on in ppp systems.

I was slightly surprised how the old scripts I used for dialup over 20
years (and a different country) ago were still used for LTE modem
connections, complete with an even larger set of AT commands to control the
device. I still think of AT commands as "Hayes" commands, even though Hayes
themselves haven't existed this century. (Dennis Hayes still exists
personally, as far as I know, as does his business partner Dale
Heatherington - who retired at age 37 in the mid 80s, and seems to have had
a great time since then.)

I guess ppp will be with us forever. I was pretty impressed that someone
managed to implement a ppp wifi modem on the very cheap ESP8266
microcontroller. If you have a serial port, you can now talk (not very
fast) over wifi:
https://www.tindie.com/products/theoldnet/rs232-serial-wifi-modem-for-vintage-computers-v4/
(there's a github link to the source in there for folks who might build
their own)

 Stewart