Stewart Russell via talk wrote on 2023-04-21 14:55:

    I never, ever use fgrep or egrep and I think it's a bad idea.

Well, that's me told.

When I read your quote of my message, it occurred to me that I done messed up.

What I meant to say was, "I don't use them, and I think it's a bad idea *to remove them*". I was (in my head) referring to the original subject but failed to make that clear.

I still think that scripts really ought to use long-form options, but I am generally against removing choices unless the alternative it too much a burden. This case doesn't seem to fit that definition though.

Sorry for the mix-up.