How do you know that Microsoft Security Essentials does a really good job? As far as I know, Microsoft does not even support it any more, and they have even themselves admitted that it is not very good. The whole point about security software is that you do not know how good it is until it proves itself. If you do not wish to pay for software, that is surely your choice. However, you might get exactly what you pay for.

Cheerio,
Robert