Is it possible that you chose a synthesizer that you didn't have installed on your system at the time? I actually did that myself, or should I say, when my wife installed it for me. I did give her wrong direction in that case I'm afraid.

You probably should have chosen either the Microsoft Platform, or the SAPI voices, and you would most likely have speech.

I would find a pair of sighted eyes, and have them Go to the Devices options in the WE control panel, choose synthesizers, and from there, choose one of the voices I mentioned above, and hopefully you should be in business.

Really hope this helps,

Larry