Hi David and everyone,

While I certainly appreciate reading this thread, and clearly there is a lot
of energy on this matter of keyboards and their use with screen readers, I
would like to say that there is no need for any serious concern about losing
the functionality of the Numpad and therefore the functionality of
Window-Eyes.
This is because any function currently assigned to the Numpad keys can be
assigned to other key combinations in the WE control panel.
Also, regarding keyboards which happen to include a Numpad and yet do not
include a NumLock key, I would guess that if the manufacturer was simply
providing the Numpad to make numeric input easier, that manufacturer
probably didn't make those keys unique in the codes they pass on to Windows
when pressed.
In other words, taking the number 5 on the Numpad as an example, my guess is
that it would send the same key code to Windows as woudd be sent to Windows
by pressing the number 5 on the Qwerty area of the keyboard; therefore,
there would be no uniqueness about the Numpad numbers, and also there would
be no alternate functions on the Numpad number keys, that is, that
uniqueness we're used to when we turn NumLock off.
In short, we will need to get used to the idea that we are going to have to
use whatever keys are available to get our screen reader tasks completed,
and perhaps we'll have to use more key combinations like Control-Shift-T,
which we're all used to anyway.
In truth, as long as we have keyboards which work at all, we'll be able to
control Window-Eyes. Smile

All the best,

Rod