Hi Paulette,

I'm not Chris, but ...

Narrator is the basic screen reader built into Windows.

In terms of whether a tablet running Windows or an iPad is best for you,
this will depend on what you want to do, and what budget you have.  It
doesn't sound like you'll have much of a learning curve if you're already
familiar with both Windows and iOS.

Keep in mind that the predominant input method for tablets is touch, and
Window-Eyes doesn't support touch screens so you'll need an external
keyboard if you go down the Windows route.  If you don't want an external
keyboard, then other Windows screen readers do offer touch support though
not as good as Voiceover's on the iPad.

If you go down the Windows route, be sure to get one running a full version
of Windows and not something called RT.  If you get a tablet running RT,
you'll only be able to install apps from the Microsoft App Store so won't be
able to install a screen reader.

You can buy Windows tablets from Microsoft (the Surface and the Surface
Pro), though there are cheaper ones from other manumanufacturers - the
cheapest I know of is the HP Stream.  The Dell Venue, Toshiba Encore 2 and
one from Lenovo that I can't remember the name of are other options.

Cheers,

Ed