Hi.  This morning while perusing the interface to figure out how to check
for updates manually, I unintentionally created a problem of having lost all
sounds.

Here's what happened.  I discovered a cumulative update for Windows 10, and
decided to manually restart the computer to install it rather than wait
until 2:30 a.m. tomorrow morning for the computer to shut down and restart
itself.  I pressed the restart button to restart the machine and install the
update.  Now, after the computer restarted, no sounds are generated.
Narrator won't even launch.

I called the Microsoft disability answer desk and my sighted nephew could
see the desktop icons and even do a remote session with the representative.
My nephew was on the phone for about an hour and no progress was made.  The
issue has supposedly been escalated to a higher level technician for a call
back or an e-mail to resolve the issue.

This issue happened using Window-eyes 9.2 under Windows 10 on a Dell
Xps-8500 desktop pc.  My Dell Xps-501-L laptop is working fine after
installing the update or else I wouldn't be able to send this e-mail, smile.
I hope someone on this list can help.  I wonder if the installation of the
update when the machine was restarted caused the sounds to be muted.  ?

Mike M.