Good morning everyone,

I am an Internet security consultant and computer security and operating system
development has been my expertise since 1974. I actually started to write code
at age eight. I worked on the development of ARPANET (aka DARPANET) and MILNET
from 1979 until 1983. I traveled to some 67 counties and lectured on Internet
security from 1993 through 2004. I have been an author, co-author, subject
matter expert, or Technical editor for some 14 books, CBTs, and courseware for
Deltek, SRA, McMillan, and O’Reilley covering a wide array of topics on
Internet security, Linux, OS/2, OS/2 LAN Manager, and Novell Netware. I have
written operating system code for IBM, Texas Instruments, Intel, and Microsoft
as a contract developer.

You certainly can configure Windows 10 to automatically log you on; however, it
is really a bad idea to do that if you have medical records, banking,
insurance, credit card, or other personally identifying information. Even if
you had the best firewall, intrusion prevention, and data leakage protection
software you still are potentially vulnerable. "They say the only secure
computer is one that is unplugged and berried 20 feet in the ground and then it
still might be vulnerable".

Should a web site you connect to and interact with it be compromised it becomes
very easy for an attacker’s malicious code to gain full access to your computer
if you use the automatic login feature of Windows or for that matter any
operating system. Some 70% of web sites on the Internet have been compromised
at some time or another. Government web sites, the Wallstreet Journal, sports
sites, and store sites just to name a few.

Being a computer professional I have been around computers since 1968 and
therefore passwords are second nature to me. Not everyone is blessed with
sufficient memory recall to use passwords or remember passwords that are long
enough to be relatively secure.

Lastpass (lastpass.com <http://lastpass.com/>) is an accessible password
manager that is fairly easy to use. There are both free and paid versions. For
those with some vision 1Password might also be a good choice. With these you
remember one password and it stores all of your other passwords. Make that one
password also the password you log into your computer with to keep things
simple.

You can also get many secure encrypted USB devices to store your passwords on.
I personally use my iPhone to store an encrypted password file on. This gets
synced to my computer and is stored in encrypted file there as well.

To make a secure password you should make it fairly long and use a mixture
upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special symbols. That may seem
daunting to most, but here are a few clever tricks to help.

Lets say you have a favorite poem. Choose the first character of each word in
some part of the poem.

Big boys race our young girls but violet generally wins. Her car is always much
faster than the boys cars.

So taking the first letter of each word from the above passage give us the
following. "Bbr0ygbvgw*Hciamfttbc” (excluding the quotes of course.)

Here are the basic rules you can use.

1) If a word starts with a capital letter than use it as a capital letter in
the password.
2) If a word starts with a lower case letter than use it as a lower case letter
in the passwords.
3) If a word starts with a vowel then substitute it for a number.
        A or a becomes 4
        E or e becomes 3
        I or i becomes 1
        O or o becomes 0
        U or u becomes 2.
4) Separate your sentences with a special symbol like an asterisk “*”, a dollar
sign “$”, a period “.”, a hyphen “-“, etc. Not all web sites will allow number
or special symbols. So you may at times have to use a simpler passwords for
them or allow your browser to generate a random password for you. Remember that
you only need remember one password if you are using a password manager to
store your passwords.

I hope this helps.

> On 2015Aug 18, at 09:20, Russ Kiehne via Talk <talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
> wrote:
>
> Along the same line, I'm running windows 7.  It has been setup where when I
> turn on the computer it takes me directly to the desktop without using a
> passward.  Can this be done when setting up windows 10?
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Chris Grabowski via Talk
> Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 1:53 AM
> To: Les Kriegler ; Window-Eyes Discussion List
> Subject: RE: Windows 10 Installation Question
>
> Hi Les,
> Are you signing in with a Microsoft account or a local account?
>

> Window-Eyes Product Support
> Ai Squared
> 725 Airport North Office Park
> Fort Wayne, IN 46825
> (802) 362-3612
> www.aisquared.com

P.S. Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund via
your phone bill.

expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not
what holds you back.

--
73' & 75'
Gregory D. Rosenberg AB9MZ