When I was talking about not being able to do contracted braille input into the computer via the Alva, I was talking about standard grade two. If I am writing in the notes section of the Alva, using it like a notetaker, I can write in grade two. But if I have it hooked up to the computer using it as a braille display, I can't input stuff from the Alva onto the computer using the Alva's keyboard. Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Vaughan Dodd via Talk
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 4:01 PM
To: 'Kevin Huber' ; 'Window-Eyes Discussion List'
Subject: RE: two way contracted Braille input on Braille displays

Maybe my below contribution reflects user inadequacy: just looking at the settings for my Alva bc640, it is not clear that braille input includes contracted, as per new UEBC requirements.

Its internal Notes app, which is a primitive notepad, might accept contracted braille, but I don't use it so will need to experiment. A recent look at the Optelec website as taken via VFO does not indicate that there are upgraded braille tables or firmware which should be installed.

Doug: great having you contributing to this discussion. Once the future of Window-Eyes as a going concern for development is confirmed, my strong recommendation is to regard features like direct contracted braille input to be part of Window-eyes.

Knowing that I've banged on for ages about updating braille support generally,and accepting that there is reliance upon display manufacturers, my hope is that VFO will properly resource this aspect of screen reader development.

Vaughan.

research/regional/auckland/auckland-health-disability-resources.html