Please correct me, should I be wrong. And maybe I do not understand your
issue totally.

Far as I know, Win-Eyes always will fall back to your default sound
card. Meaning, if you unplug your USB card, the built-in, onboard card
will be the one used for output.

Furthermore, a handful of versions back, it occurs to me, that WinEyes
got a new feature implemented. Whenever you restart the screen reader
will automatically attempt to unmute your sound card. Have not tested
it, but that is what I have been under the impression would be the case.

Again, with all chances of being wrong, I will be glad to be corrected
on this, should anyone have different information on the matter.