Larry,

In your case there is a solution. Set another synthesizer to use your onboard card and check the check box: Use this synthesizer as the backup synthesizer. If you have speech going out your monitor and mute it, reload Window-Eyes and hold down the left Shift key while doing so. You have to be quick on the draw with this, or you can reboot and hold down that key. It will tell Window-Eyes to use your backup synth. It will also turn apps off. So you have to remember to turn them back on, or, get things straightened out and then reload Window-Eyes with your usual default settings.

Otherwise, most laptops or desktop keyboards have volume or mute controls on them today. Some are on the F-keys and you have to know how to toggle them between F-keys and shortcut keys. For example, on my Microsoft Natural keyboard I have what you would think were 13 F-keys. that thirteenth one is the toggle key. But I know most aren't this simple.

Hth,
Tom