Hi Brian:

Unfortunately, you are right.

See if NVDA will work for you.
Its actually really good and improvements are being made to it all the
time.  If you know of a feature wgwhich you like to have included, you
can request that feature and will work as hard as they can to include
it.  Since the software is opensource, there ara a number of users who
contribute to the source code.

Kevin Huber