From: Talk
[mailto:talk-bounces+steve.jacobson=visi....@lists.window-eyes.com] On
Behalf Of Tom Kingston via Talk
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 10:33 AM
To: Steve Jacobson via Talk <talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Cc: Tom Kingston <tom.kings...@charter.net>
Subject: Re: A little tech tip on Windows and screen readers.

Steve,

I agree that the complicated route isn't the one to take.

And I agree that programs would only check the flag on launch. But in
the way I'm looking at this that's fine. If the flag gets set to false
after shutting down a second screen reader and the first one is working
fine I won't have to relaunch programs. And if I run the program to
reset the flag after closing the second screen reader it will be true
for any programs I launch thereafter. So the trick would be to run the
program as soon as we shut down the second screen reader, which is what
I would do because otherwise I'll forget.
And after resetting the flag I can broadcast a system message that the
flag was changed. So all those wild little party animal programs will be
notified.

Regards,
Tom

On 11/8/2017 10:37 AM, Steve Jacobson via Talk wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Given my tendency to believe that the more complex something is, the more
> likely it will cause problems, I think it might be useful to be able to
> simply reset the screen reader flag upon demand as you suggest.  While I
> don't see any flaws in your logic, I would caution that there could be
> applications that only check the screen reader flag when they start.  In
> other words, resetting the flag to true might not solve all problems.  One
> would assume that the operating system would know the flag was reset, and
> that might resolve most of the problems that would arise, though.  I have
no
> knowledge of how that flag is checked so this is all speculation which is
> also dangerous.
>
> Thanks for this information.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve Jacobson