Whatever was the case, I am glad you got it all fixed.

For a later time, you might want to keep in mind the suggested approach,
that someone else gave you. The Filter-stuff, is normally turned on with
Ctrl-K. To get it turned off, you go to the View-menu of Thunderbird, by
hitting Alt-V. In here, go to Toolbars, hit Right-Arrow, and arrow your
way down to the Filter setting. It likely will be Checked, causing the
filter screen to come up. Never understood what filtering it would do,
or why it by default is turned on when you install Thunderbird. But all
you have to do, once focused on the setting in the Toolbar-menu, is to
press Enter. The menu will close, the Filtering will be turned off, and
you will be acting as normal.

Furthermore, when in a screen of Thunderbird, and you want to get out of
it, it might be worth trying either the Ctrl-W, or even the F6. First
one will attempt to close your current tab, the latter will attempt
jumping between different screen sections of the program. All quite
standard keystrokes, that you will know from other software.

As for your tiredness and feeling overrun by medication, I am afraid
there is little Thunderbird can do about that, other than causing you
further issues. Smiles. Glad you got the TB issue fixed, and let's hope
it will stay there for the near future. I have the latest version here,
and seem to have no other than the normal operation with the program.

Hope you get well soon.