There are currently 36 proposed values for the shop key yet 6 approved
values. In the current 07-12-26 uk planet.osm excerpt there are 159
different shop values.

Similarly there are 29 approved values for sport, 7 proposed yet 108
in the uk planet.osm excerpt.

I think the current method of proposing features takes too long and
would be unable to cope with such a volume of new tags. I believe this
may be putting people off proposing tags they are using.

Instead I think fast track proposals should be introduced for some
keys like sport and shop. Values for those keys would sit in a fast
track list for a period of time. If no objections are made during this
time period the value will be moved into the approved features list.

--
DavidD