Hi,

>It should be possible to be vague about something when tagging it.  There
>are several vague tags that I really like and use frequently
>(natural=water, natural=grass being my two favorites)

No problem with that at all. (Myself, I also use "landuse=residential"
for "from the low-res sat image I can see there must be people living
there".)

I'm not saying that "natural=water" should be deprecated. I'm just
saying that if someone wants to introduce a tagging for lakes or other
*special* kinds of water, then there is no technical requirement to tag
everything that is tagged with the new lake tag (say, water=lake) as
natural=water *also*, because the fact that "water=lake implies
natural=water" could be stored externally.

Obviously the option of vague tagging must remain, otherwise the lake
tag would have to go once the biologists start differentiating between
various types of lakes, and in the end we'd end up with a system where
nobody can tag anything unless he's one of the world's three experts.

"Surface=asphalt you say, hm? Let's take a sample and ship it to the
laboratory..."

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00.09' E008°23.33'