I just walked part of a cycle route. In fact we walked three cycle
routes at once. I would like to create a relation, type=route and then
copy this to the two other relations containing the same ways. Or is
there a smarter way to go about this? Could relations contain other
relations?

I have the same problem with bus routes. They also tend to overlap quite
a bit. Oh, I think for a bus route I actually tried another trick. Open
route in JOSM, select all ways of it, then close and add those ways to a
another route. The problem with that approach was that backward/forward
information was lost, so I kind of gave up and hoped a later version of
JOSM would help me out.

As for the rendering. When and how are bus/tram routes going to be
rendered? Could it be done as an overlay? I.e. not visible all the time.
What happens when the routes overlap? Will only one be shown? Will they
be shown side by side (my preference), like you see on those maps from
the public transportation? I imagine trying to achieve that would be
quite a challenge. I believe those maps are actually drawn with human
intervention.

The same questions apply to cycle and walking routes, but they are
rendered already on Andy's map. I'll see what happens when two/three
routes use the same ways there.

Polyglot