bvh wrote:

> Moreover, I don't think your position is internally consistent. The
> data is
> nearly useless without the programs to do something interesting
> with it. What good would it be for the geo data to be open if the
> preferred way of accessing it is closed?

I think "preferred" is the key. OSM's a broad church and, most of the
time, there is no "preferred" way: we don't turn people away because
they choose to use closed source software, closed formats or
whatever. For example, we are, by open project standards, very
welcoming towards those who use Windows.

cheers
Richard