On 30 Jan 2008, at 12:41, Karl Newman wrote:

I'm seeing faint gray lines on the main site slippy map Mapnik base layer, and I'm at a loss to explain their source. At first I thought they were state borders, but I'm seeing the lines running through the middle of states, too (here http:// www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.001&lon=-120.048&zoom=9&layers=B0FT it runs vertically through the middle of Oregon). Then I thought they were tile boundaries, but that's not consistent, either. Even weirder is on the California-Nevada border, there are two vertical lines right next to each other, not always parallel. (See here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/? lat=41.62&lon=-120.053&zoom=9&layers=B0FT). I downloaded that area in JOSM but all I saw was a single state border way. It doesn't seem to have a source in the OSM data, so maybe it's something caused by the conversion to pgsql or by the renderer itself (maybe a projection issue)? I don't think it's related to the recent mod_tile changes, because as far as I know that only affects how the tiles are stored and served, not how they're rendered. (If I've said something stupid, please forgive me. I *think* I understand the process...)

Any thoughts, anyone?

Karl

Ok, I got it. There are artifacts from rendering adjacent coast-line polygons (which are tiled - 100x100km squares inland) This will be fixed when we upgrade to new coastline shape files - new tiles overlap by 150m and don't have these faint lines

Artem