Steve Chilton wrote:

This is kind of workaround only. The real solution would be putting features on different layers automatically. For examples POIs (nodes) should be always above anything else while areas always below. Unless, of course, layer= says different. This should be supported by rendering engines not users.

Where I have been mapping admin boundaries I put them all in as layer=1 - this
brings them above most things in the mapnik rendering.
See: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.60655&lon=-0.05558&zoom=15&layers=B0FT
Cheers
STEVE

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Adrian Frith Sent: Sun 2/10/2008 7:06 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: Subject: [OSM-talk] administrative boundaries that run along roads - in the Mapnik layer

        Hi All,

        In Cape Town we've been mapping the suburb boundaries (which are
        official) as boundary=administrative admin_level=10. These boundaries
        run often down the middle of roads, railways or rivers. They show up
        very nicely on the Osmarender/[EMAIL PROTECTED] layer as dashed red
lines - see for
        example
        http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-33.95&lon=18.45&zoom=12&layers=0BFT

        On the Mapnik layer, however, they show up only where they do *not* run
        along roads or railways - it seems that the other features are rendered
        on top of the boundaries. Should we not be rendering administrative
        boundaries above real features?

        My understanding is that this would require a change to the z_order code
        in osm2pgsql. Is that correct?

        Regards,
        Adrian

Było mi bardzo miło.               Czwarta pospolita klęska, [...]
>Łukasz<                 Już nie katolicka lecz złodziejska.  (c)PP

Pogoda na najblizsze dni.
Sprawdz >>> http://link.interia.pl/f1ce1
begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:=C5=81ukasz Stelmach
n;quoted-printable:Stelmach;=C5=81ukasz
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1