Hmm. Since the layer tag is supposed to be for defining the relative
vertical displacement of physical features, I think I will rustle up a
patch to osm2pgsql to strip off layer tags for non-physical features
like admin boundaries :-)

If we (or any renderer) want the admin boundaries showing above roads,
it should be controlled through the rendering process rather than
using layer=. For example, I would move the administrative rendering
rule in osm.xml to a separate style from minor-roads, and then put
that style in a separate layer.

Cheers,
Andy