Alex Mauer wrote:
>Sent: 18 February 2008 11:16 PM
>To: talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [tagging] updated RFC: Highway administrative and
>physical descriptions
>
>I've added a decision tree to the physical section of the page, as well
>as removed the "boulevard" designation (since it didn't really add much)
>
>I'd like to have some more comments from the UK and german end, as to
>whether or not A and B roads (and others?) fit into the highway:admin
>scheme.
>
>Again, the proposal location is:
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Highway_administr
>ative_and_physical_descriptions

It's a whole lot easier to add additional tags that are logical and describe
the physical properties of the highway specifically. For the physical you
might have:

1. The number of lanes -- (lanes=)
2. The lane width (standardised in most countries). Or a measurement if not
standard. -- (lane_width=)
3. The surface construction (asphalt, concrete, dirt etc) -- (construction=)

You can then go further and add additional tags that define all the other
street furniture and attributes. None need to be complicated or difficult to
understand.

You can do the same for administrative designations that go beyond the
simple highway= approach we started with. These don't supersede the existing
tags, they simply add to the overall definition of the object.

The big question though is who wants to spend hours adding 20 tags to each
piece of road. Maybe when I have finished mapping my whole area I'll look at
it again and start to add more tags, but for now I just use the basics and
its good enough for now.

Cheers

Andy