>  in the UK some main A roads have single lane passing places and 10
>  MPH speed limits while others are much higher quality than most motorways.

Are these not edge cases? Any general case model of classification
will fail at the edge cases. No classification system will map cleanly
onto the real world, where there are always extremes. The current
model is simple, and allows for extra tags to describe a road that
differs from what the highway= tag might lead one to expect. (primary
road with low bridges or narrow lanes, secondary road with dual
carriageway). With our current model, we can reasonably assume for any
country that a road tagged highway=motorway is of higher quality than
trunk > primary > secondary etc.

We can make assumptions for each different country or even region that
a given tag will specify a higher or lower quality than in another
country i.e. you don't go from Northern France to Iceland expecting
highway=primary roads to be of the same quality. But the principle
that one highway type is better than another, *in* *general*, is true
everywhere. In the UK, in general, the administrative classifications
Motorway > green-signed A-road > white-signed A-road > B road >
unclassified road - so these reasonably map to motorway, trunk,
primary etc.

The current  model is simple, and *generally* does not surprise the
user. The guiding principles of OSM.

- Dan