Pressing [Enter] is counter intuitive to me, as that usually confirms
what I'm doing instead of canceling for which [ESC] is more common.

God knows how many times I have hit [ESC] when using Potlatch to find
out that doesn't work... again...

An idea to show the possibilities somewhere when one is activating some
command? Like in the edit way mode:
- Press [Enter] to cancel
- Click somewhere on the map to extend the way