On 26/02/2008 16:53, Lester Caine wrote:
> This is exactly where agreement on just which tags mean what is essential. If
> we are looking for all schools in a town we want a list of single entries! We
> don't want to be guessing if two entries with similar names are actually the
> same school :( Or if a town has 10 or 20 schools based on the returned data.

That wouldn't apply to the ones I've done because the name is only on
the node.

And as others have pointed out, anarchy rules in OSM: just because you
prefer to map one way doesn't mean I have to. We only do things at least
moderately alike because the renderers set certain rules implicitly that
we follow if we want the pleasure of seeing our work as an end result.
Map_features may be an attempt at some rules, but in practice it is
Artem and 80n and others who get people to follow the rules by what they
do in the renderings.

But in any case, you're always going to duplicate names of things: for
example when two or more adjacent buildings make up the same
institution, or most commonly, many highways are split into multiple
ways, each with the name.

You can cull a lot of these highways if you're clever because they are
joined, but sometimes even they are disjoint, and in any case for a long
road you don't necessarily want to identify it purely by a single
location ("M11, Cambridge" gives a different result in name finder to
"M11, Bishop's Stortford" even though it is the same road, but equally
it doesn't give 20 similar results for "Hills Road, Cambridge" just
because the road goes across some bridges and has some side spurs).

You could argue that disjoint references to the same thing should be
linked with relations (when there is a good reason to jkeep them
separate) would be solved by linking, but this is such a big job - would
need to be applied to many, many highways and is hard to automate; and
it makes editing an order of magnitude more complicated.

David