Bruce Cowan wrote:
>Sent: 13 March 2008 2:28 AM
>To: DavidD
>Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] How to use lanes= for two way single track roads?
>
>On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 21:09 +0000, DavidD wrote:
>> According to map features the value for the lanes key should be.
>>
>> "Number of travel lanes in each (or only permitted) direction"
>>
>> I've been tagging to this definition.
>>
>> "Number of travel lanes on the way"
>>
>> This makes more sense to me because you can tag two way single lane
>> roads with lanes = 1. The map features definition on the other hand
>> doesn't give an obvious way to tag these roads. lanes = 0.5 perhaps.
>>
>> I didn't pick up the lanes tag from map features but some other wiki
>> page. I'm sure the wiki page defined the lanes key similarly to my
>> definition. Unfortunately I know can't find that wiki page to check.
>>
>> Was the lanes tag added to map features wrongly?
>
>While thinking about the many roads up here that are single tracked,
>it'd be quite useful to be able to map them properly. The result was
>passing places [0]. I am under the impression that lanes=1 means 1 lane
>each way, but this makes these roads impossible. I'd quite like another
>tag, such as narrow=true (or something non-boolean) which would mean the
>lanes number is number of lanes overall as opposed to in either
>direction.

This why the original intention was that lanes was equal to the number of
running lanes on the physical way. In your case it would be lanes=1 except
(if you like) at passing places where lanes=2. Since a passing place is a
very short length normally it would be simpler to tag a node with lanes=2 at
each passing place. Isn't that the simplest method and easily understandable
in the data?

Cheers

Andy