Hi,

> I have not succeeded at all in splitting closed ways with JOSM. It always
> says to
> me that I should select a node from the middle of the road.  It seems to
> think
> that any node in the closed ring is the starting one.  Other way to think
> is that any node in the ring is in the middle...

The error message was misleading and has been changed a while ago. If
you have a recent JOSM version, the message you'll see is: "You must
select two or more nodes to split a circular way".

Which is quite obvious. If you have a way A-B-C-D-E-A and are told to
split that circular way "at node C", how could you do it?

Bye
Frederik