I played a little last night thinking of how a router application might
sense junctions and worked out a solution at the way/map level.

see:
http://www.openstreetmap.com/?lat=51.11773&lon=-114.0701&zoom=17&layers=0BFT
(osmarender has rendered this, but you have to go to edit to see what I did).

Basically there aren't direct connections between crossing streets,
instead there are very short 1-way connectors which are positioned so that
they are the first junction you come to. Hence any router application
would say 'turn left' thinking that it was the first junction.

I think that if this would still be better solved in some 'relationship'
way as constructing every junction like this would be a pain, and I'm sure
that it would break in some situations.

Cheers,
Mungewell.