Hello,

To join this discussion: Kosmos uses smooth coloring of elevations,
which I think gives better results than using fixed bands. I "borrowed"
RGB values from this post, I think you should read it:
http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=7

The only drawback to this would probably be the fact that you need a
greater color depth.
You can see a small sample of Kosmos relief rendering here:
http://igorbrejc.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/crete.png

Igor

http://igorbrejc.net