OJ W wrote:

> Sounds very similar to the cycleway tagging in Bedford; treat it
> as a separate way if it's not on the road, which makes it easy
> to show if it takes detours away from the road:

But I want it to be just next to the street, with no gap and no
overlap, and getting this right requires that I know how it will
be rendered (which I don't), and there still is no chance I would
get it perfectly right.  It does make more sense to draw one way
at the street's centerline and then use attributes to describe all
the various lanes for cars, buses, bikes and sidewalks as a list
with the width of each lane in metres.  How far away is it that
Osmarender or Mapnik would render something like that?

We have this problem with motorways already, that two ways
(northbound and southbound) run perfectly parallel in reality, but
on the map the distance between the ways is not always the same.
If this was mechanics, I would put a spacer washer between them.

--
  Lars Aronsson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])