On Monday 24 March 2008, Dave Stubbs wrote:
> Personally I'd start to way tracks separately when they have a clear
> separation. That's deliberately ambiguous because I think it varies.
> But yeah a 10m gap would certainly do it, but even a 1m gap if it's
> made of something very solid.

OK, I've googled a bit for images of cycleways to get an idea about when
other people would tag a cycleway as a separate highway... (sorry, it's
a bit of a Belgium-centric selection...)

Cycleway separated by 30cm of grass, many connections at driveways:
http://www.soundandvision.be/rijbewijs/wegwet/afbeeldingen/wegwet11a.JPG

One meter of grass between cycleway and road, still quite a number of
connections to the road:
http://users.nucleus.be/adri/gfx/fietspad5.jpg

Instead of grass, some small bushes:
http://www.provant.be/binaries/aanleg%20subs%20westerlo%20gevaertlaan_tcm7-13420.jpg

Not a cycle lane, but not separated by a kerb:
http://skender.be/blog/afbeeldingen/VoskenslaanVerkeerslichtB.jpg

Separated by a 50cm wide platform:
http://www.laurencelibert.be/assets/1308/fietspad_article.jpg

Separated by a line of trees, no kerb:
http://www.mobielvlaanderen.be/figs/convenants/MOB8320F01.jpg

Separated by 5m of grass:
http://www.vldekeren.be/wp-images/media/puihoek1.jpg

Parked cars, small patch of grass with some trees:
http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images_v2/002/516/036/20070710/dyn009_original_640_480_pjpeg_2516036_7f35443c9fa0bdee2e8faf85200bc3ab.jpg

Diagonally parked cars, some grass and trees:
http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images_v2/002/516/036/20070710/dyn009_original_640_480_pjpeg_2516036_73826f8b3ac379fa17660f754ef96e9b.jpg

My opinion is quite easy: they're all just "cycleway=track" as part of
the main road, but I'd like to see what others do in each of these
situations.

Greetings
Ben