On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Robin Paulson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 02/04/2008, Cartinus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  > there's no reason (in theory) the person carrying out the import of
>  >  > the second, or third, or whatever, 'approved' source, couldn't
>  >  > temporarily be given write-status for that tag. it was only intended
>  >  > to be read-only for the majority of users, who editing/adding things
>  >  > one component at a time
>  >
>  >
>  > This would need people in charge of granting rights to other people. Which
>  >  don't think is part of the spirit of OSM at the moment. (That's part of
> the
>
>  well, it happens already. there are parts of osm that i don't have
>  access to, and if i asked steve or anyone else with the keys, they
>  would likely say no unless i had a good reason. ok, it's the
>  infrastructure not the data, but the point still stands

There's a large difference between system admin and granting/removing
editing rights to particular OSM users.
Currently all OSM users are created equal, including the sys admin's
own OSM user accounts.

As soon as you start adding technical restrictions to specific users
then you have to start dealing with a whole load of extra politics
concerned with who gets to assign those rights and under what
circumstances, which we currently get to completely sidestep by not
having any.