By default, osmosis will truncate at the last node inside the boundary
which isn't always ideal.  The completeWays argument will include all
way nodes outside the boundary which again isn't perfect.

The new PostGIS based bounding box functionality will never truncate
ways but may leave out nodes outside the box depending on whether
completeWays is specified.

Introducing truncation with phantom nodes is very difficult to do in a
memory efficient manner.  If an in-memory implementation was sufficient
it would potentially be much simpler but doesn't exist yet.  The new
osmosis PostGIS schema would be a good starting point for this.  A
single task implementation may need to be used (ie. not one bbox task
instance per tile) so that it can maintain lists of phantom nodes
created at boundaries shared between multiple tiles.

I think it was Karl who was looking at creating a tiling task.  Not sure
whether he's still looking at this.  I'd like to play with this but
realistically I'm not going to find the time any time soon.