On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Steve Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Dave Stubbs wrote:
>

> > either you're a human in which case most of the time you'll
> > engage your brain and figure out what makes sense... or you're a
> > computer in which case some nice human has programmed you with the
> > relevant domain knowledge, so you know that highway=climbing happens
> > to be what you're looking for.
> >

>  Seems to me that requiring that the computer or human needs a lot of
> background knowledge about how the context is determined is a bad thing,
> given that putting the context in the key (and thus removing the ambiguity)
> is easy.

There is no ambiguity. You're inventing ambiguity where there is none.
If there was ambiguity I'd agree with you -- there is none so I don't.
Seeing as you're interested in the tag in the first place it's a fair
bet you already know how to find the context very easily.

> > piste:lift:occupancy -- wtf? this can only ever happen on a piste:lift
> > right? there is absolutely zero point in this tag.. call it occupancy
> > -- the result is 100% identical. This is purely namespace wanking for
> > the sake of it. It serves no purpose. None. Zip. Nada. The only thing
> > this does is make the tag name very long,
> >

>  Of course it serves a purpose - it tells you that the value of the tag
> describes the occupancy of a lift.  An "occupancy" tag could be used to
> describe attributes of different types of object - number of people in a
> building, number of fish in a pond, etc.  Without the name space you need to
> get the context from somewhere else (one of the other tags... which one?) to
> make it meaningful.

And if the occupancy is on a fish pond then it likely does, but
frankly if you're suggesting the average piste lift is also a fish
pond then you have more problems than I care to go into. So yes you
have to get the context from somewhere. Happily you're someone who
wants to know about pistes, not about fish, so this isn't actually a
problem:

if [piste:lift] is not null and [occupancy] is not null then:
  print "piste:lift:occupancy = [occupancy]"

wow. that was hard. And also demonstrates how completely pointless the
namespace was.

> > and add a pile of annoying colons.
> >

>  Who cares whether we use colons, underscores, spaces, whatever?

I'm taking the piss.

> > Your average user is quite happily going to type exactly what you tell
> > them to. The chance of them remembering the key is probably reduced,
> >

>  Or the chance of them remembering which tags can be applied to which types
> of objects is increased because the tag name makes it clear what sort of
> object it will work with.

I'd rate that quite high.

> > and the chance of them thinking it's ok to come up with new
> > unnamespaced tags is also reduced which will either mean they won't
> > propose things
> >

>  This is completely stupid - yes, they might avoid coming up with new
> unnamespaced tags and *shock* propose new namespaced tags instead.  Why is
> this a bad thing?

you snipped the or: they'll attach meaningless drivel to the start of
every tag as a substitute

which is effectively what you're doing anyway.

> > The chance of someone putting up a
> > proposal getting spammed by people who like typing is also massively
> > increased.
> >

>  Huh?

Basically, I'm convinced you know what a namespace is, but not why you
would want to use one.
What you're doing provides nothing extra: I can throw it away and be
left with the same information.

Dave