2008/5/7 Kenneth Gonsalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>  I am a newbie to OSM, and am trying to mark up a golf course. I have
>  gone through (and added some remarks to) the proposal here: http://
>  wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Golf_course, but
>  could not understand exactly how to implement it. So I tried with
>  using existing keys:
>
>  For the course: leisure=golf_course
>  For putting greens:
>
>  landuse=greenfield
>  hole=holenumber
>  golf=green
>
>  For tee boxes:
>  landuse=greenfield
>  hole=holenumber
>  golf=tee
>  colour=black/white/red
>
>  For bunkers:
>  landuse=brownfield
>  hole=holenumber
>  golf=bunker
>
>  For closely mown areas:
>  landuse=greenfield
>  hole=holenumber
>  golf=fairway
>
>  For rough:
>  landuse=forest
>  golf=rough
>
>  For GUR:
>  landuse=brownfield
>  golf=gur
>
>  For hazard:
>  landuse=forest/water depending on what is in the hazard
>  golf=hazard/lateral_hazard
>
>  I don't know if this is the correct way of doing this, but the area
>  is starting to look like a golf course:
>  http://openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=11.39&lon=76.7225&zoom=13

it (the map) looks ok at first glance, but osm is about more than
making nice looking maps.

there really is no 'correct' way of doing anything, mappers are free
to lay down whatever and however they want, but if you're asking about
commonly accepted practices, there are a few things i can suggest:
firstly, landuse. all through osm, this tag is poorly-defined. it's
come to mean 'large areas of land with common usage'. so, residential
areas of a city, commercial (offices), retail, etc. it was not
intended to be used on something as small as a golf course putting
green. also, brownfield has a very specific meaning in geography,
specifically http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownfield_land which is
talked about on the map features page in less depth
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#Landuse
and similarly for greenfield, etc.

please don't choose a tag just because it makes the item render nicely

the green, rough, etc will need their own designations, they are
fairly unique to golf courses when all their relevant properties are
considered

that golf course proposal looks a way off being complete, maybe wait
till it is resolved and passes through voting? or join in the
discussion and make some suggestions yourself